Explore beautiful Peruvian landscapes while deepening your connection to your inner wisdom, vitality, and peace.
Harmonize with majestic mountains and explore ancient cities.
Connect deeply with the pulse of the earth and open your own awareness of acceptance, compassion, and joy.
Explore Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley
May 12-22, 2018 ~ Maximum group size 16
Imagine immersing yourself in the stunning landscapes of Peru, being inspired by majestic mountains and sacred cities.
Imagine connecting with Pachamama (mother earth) during a blessing ceremony with a Peruvian shaman.
Imagine opening your heart as you feel the spirit of the Andean people welcome you to their Sacred Valley.
This Peru retreat uniquely blends exploration of Peru’s beautiful Sacred Valley with meditation, qigong, and rich conversations about acceptance, compassion, and joy.
- Daily we explore cultural aspects of the Sacred Valley, from visiting ancient sites to a modern weaver’s cooperative.
- Most days begin with guided and silent meditation as the sun rises over the ridge-line.
- At ancient sites we practice qigong, deepening our awareness of our own internal energy and how it harmonizes and flows with the energy of our surroundings.
- One day an Andean shaman joins us and offers a blessing ceremony for Pachamama and all her creatures.
- A few mornings we’ll steep ourselves in rich conversations on how to incorporate acceptance and compassion into our lives.
We’ll practice slowing down our busy minds, opening our hearts, and embracing joy and peace… tools to take home and practice long after the retreat is over.
Excited? We thought so!
Now here’s our promise to you ~ On this Heart-Opening Retreat in Awe-Inspiring Peru you will:
- Actively explore Machu Picchu and other ancient sites in the Sacred Valley.
- Interact with local Andean people, recognizing that through time and geography all humans experience common joys and sorrows.
- Deeply connect with your own internal energy (qi) while harmonizing with the energy from the surrounding landscapes.
- Develop a regular qigong & meditation practice guided by the heart.
- Explore aspects of yourself through facilitated conversation, and open your heart and mind, which positively affects your own life and the lives of those around you.
- Meet new like-minded men and women who may become life-long friends after sharing this awe-filled experience together.
- Be infused with stunningly beautiful and serene scenes that you can pull up in your mind’s eye even after you’ve departed Peru.
May 12: Fly to Lima, and upon arrival make an easy walk over to the Wyndham Costa Del Sol hotel for a peaceful night’s sleep.
May 13: After breakfast, meet Amy Pattee Colvin, your group facilitator, and Manuel Velazco, your Peruvian guide, in the lobby. We’ll travel as a group back to the airport and board a mid-morning flight to Cusco. Upon arrival, we’ll eat lunch in a local restaurant then explore SACSAYHUAMAN an ancient citadel above the city of Cusco. We also visit KORICANCHA, once the most important temples of the Incan empire. We’ll then check into our hotel, Rumi Punku, and relax for the rest of the afternoon. We’ll meet again for dinner. Post dinner meditation is an option.
May 14th: Rise early for pre-breakfast meditation. After breakfast we’ll head to TIPON, known for its water features that still flow since ancient Incan times. We’ll be joined by an Andean shaman for a blessing ceremony. We’ll also explore PIKILLACTA, a Wari culture archeological site and the baroque church in ANDHUAYLILLAS to view and appreciate the amazing 16th century murals. We’ll enjoy lunch enroute, and dinner together as a group after our return to Cusco. Post dinner meditation is an option.
May 15th: Rise early for pre-breakfast meditation. After breakfast we’ll head to the village of Ollantaytambo where we visit the ruins of OLLANTAYTAMBO, an Incan ceremonial center. After lunch in town we’ll visit PUMAMARCA, a rarely visited Incan fortress with stunning views over the Sacred Valley. After returning to Ollantaytambo we’ll board the train to Aguas Calientes, our home for the next three nights. We’ll then check into our hotel, Hotel Jaya, followed by dinner together. Post dinner meditation is an option.
May 16th: We’ll rise early, eat breakfast, then catch a bus to the citadel of MACHU PICCHU. We’ll explore part of the ruins, then enjoy an invigorating hike up HUYNAPICCHU which offers tremendous views over the Machu Picchu and the local valleys. After we descend you are free to explore the ruins further on your own or take the bus back down to town. Lunch and the rest of afternoon is on your own. We’ll reconvene for dinner, and have a post dinner meditation as an option.
May 17th: We’ll rise early, eat breakfast, then catch a bus to the citadel of MACHU PICCHU. We’ll explore a different section of the ruins. After the guided portion, you are free to explore the ruins further on your own or take the bus back down to town. Lunch and the rest of afternoon is on your own. We’ll reconvene for dinner, and have a post dinner meditation as an option.
May 18th: We’ll have a leisurely morning, with an optional early meditation before breakfast. We’ll board the train back to Ollantaytambo mid-morning. We’ll then explore CIRCLES OF MORAY, an unusual site consisting of several terraced circular depressions. The SALT PANS of MARAS is the next stop. These salt pans were created by the Incas and are still harvested today. We’ll have lunch en-route. After exploring these sites we’ll check into our hotel, Villa Urubamba. We’ll reconvene for dinner and have a post dinner meditation as an option.
May 19th: Rise early for pre-breakfast meditation. After breakfast we’ll head out for a day hike to HUCHUY QOSQO, a rarely visited Incan site that was once a royal estate. Our trail takes us past small lakes, into the heart of the Andes, over a high pass, and down into the ruins where a picnic lunch will be set out for us. After exploring the ruins we’ll drop down into the Sacred Valley, then head back to the hotel. We’ll enjoy dinner together with a post dinner meditation as an option.
May 20th: Rise early for pre-breakfast meditation. After breakfast we’ll meet for a few hours of conversation with a focus on acceptance, compassion, and joy, along with whatever else arises. We’ll then drive to Chinchero for lunch, and explore the CHINCHERO ruins, the famous Chinchero market, and visit a weaver’s cooperative. After returning to the hotel, We’ll enjoy dinner together with a post dinner meditation as an option.
May 21st: Rise early for pre-breakfast meditation. After breakfast we’ll meet for a few hours of conversation with a focus on acceptance, compassion, and joy, along with whatever else arises. In the afternoon we’ll explore local life via a COOKING CLASS, visit an artisanal chocolate factory, touring the region via mototaxi. We’ll return to the hotel for dinner together followed by a post dinner meditation.
May 22nd: Rise early for pre-breakfast meditation. We’ll check out of our hotel mid-morning then drive to Cusco for our flight back to Lima, where you’ll then connect with your onward flight home.
- Round-trip airfare from Lima to Cusco and all ground transportation for the duration of the retreat
- Lodging for 10 nights
- 27 meals (two lunches are on your own in Aguas Calientes, all other meals are included)
- A local Peruvian guide, Manuel Velazco
- Entrance fees for all the archaeological sites including:
- Sacsayhuaman, Koricancha, Tipon, Pikillacta, Andhuaylillas, Ollantaytambo, Pumamarca, Machu Picchu, Huynapichu, Circles of Moray, Salt Pans of Maras, Huchuy Qosqo, Chinchero
- A blessing ceremony by an Andean shaman
- Cooking class and weaving demonstration
- Instruction and facilitation of meditation, qigong, and conversations about acceptance, compassion, and joy
- Gratuities for porters, bus drivers, local guides, dining staff
- 14 hours of NCBTMB CEUs for massage therapists
What’s Not Included:
- International airfare
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tour guide gratuity (recommended $15-17 per person per day)
Retreat Facilitator Amy Pattee Colvin:
In the fall of 2016 I attended a mediation retreat to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu led by my long-time teachers. During the blessing ceremony, the shaman, Adriel, gave me a seed to plant after the ceremony finished. He said to look for the plant when I brought my own group on retreat to Peru. For many months that seed of an idea quietly germinated, and has now sprouted into the retreat offered in May of 2018.
I’ve practiced a blend of Taoism and Buddhism since the mid-1990s, and am a certified facilitator of Stanford University’s Compassion Cultivation Training. I have shared the concepts of acceptance and compassion for self and others via many formats the past few years, through facilitating courses and workshops, running a weekly compassion group, writing a book, and working with people privately. I’m now very excited to share these concepts with you while we actively explore stunning landscapes and cultures.
I hope you’ll join me. If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Peruvian Guide Manuel Velazco:
Manuel Velazco, born in Cusco, Peru, entered the tourism industry at the age of 15. He has served as a professional Tour Guide for 20 years, guiding around Peru and South America. I met Manuel in the fall of 2015 when my mother and I traveled on an Overseas Adventure travel trip to Southern Peru and Bolivia. Manuel was a fantastic guide, and when I originally put this trip together I immediately contacted him to see if he was available. I’m excited to spend more time with him, and for him to share his knowledge and love of his culture with you.
Cost & Registration:
Cost: $2,895 USD, per person based on double occupancy.
A deposit of $1,450 is required to reserve your space, with the balance due by April 1st. Payment plans are available, please inquire if necessary.
If you register as an individual, you will be paired with another individual of your same gender.
A limited number of single rooms are available for an additional $475 supplement. If you wish to register as a single, your deposit and balance due are each $1685.
Registration: Register and place your deposit HERE OR email email@example.com, subject line Peru Retreat Registration.
In the email let me know the best way to contact you and any questions you may have and I will follow up with details.
- Before April 1st: full refund (less a $100 non-refundable registration fee)
- April 1st to April 20th: 75% of the retreat fee will be refunded
- April 21st to May 5th: 50% of the retreat fee will be refunded
- After May 5th: sorry, no refunds are possible